
The governorship candidate of the African Democratic Congress in Sokoto State, Manir Muhammad Dan’iya, has expressed concern over the rising deaths recorded across the state in recent days, describing the situation as a worsening security and humanitarian crisis.
Dan’iya, popularly known as Walin Sokoto, said reports from different parts of the state suggested that more than 100 people might have lost their lives in separate incidents within the past 10 days.
He cited the recent attacks in Ungushi, Kebbe Local Government Area, where residents were reportedly killed by bandits, as well as deaths recorded in Wurno and Silame local government areas.
He also referred to the Gorau boat accident in Goronyo Local Government Area, where the reported death toll had risen to 53 while recovery efforts continued.
In a statement signed on Friday by his media aide, Aminu Abdullahi, Dan’iya said the frequency of the incidents should compel the Federal and state governments to take urgent action.
He said, “The scale and frequency of these tragedies should be a wake-up call to the Sokoto State Government and the Federal Government.
“Government cannot continue to treat the loss of citizens’ lives as isolated incidents when communities are facing killings, insecurity, displacement and preventable tragedies.”
The ADC candidate accused the authorities of failing to demonstrate the level of urgency required to address the security situation, saying many residents were now living in fear.
He stressed that the protection of lives and property remained the most important responsibility of government.
According to him, “No amount of infrastructure, commissioning ceremonies or political programmes can compensate for lives lost when citizens are not adequately protected.”
Dan’iya also questioned the recent rush by the state government to commission and commence projects as the 2027 elections draw closer.
He alleged that some of the projects should have been executed earlier in the life of the administration, calling for transparency and accountability in their implementation and expenditure.
He said the government should prioritise the security and humanitarian challenges confronting residents instead of concentrating on political activities.
The former deputy governor further warned that persistent killings and displacement could have implications for the 2027 electoral process.
“If the killings continue at this rate, there may be fewer and fewer people left in these communities to participate in the 2027 elections,” he warned.
Dan’iya called on the Federal and Sokoto State governments to strengthen security operations, improve intelligence gathering, protect vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for attacks were arrested and prosecuted.
He also demanded urgent safety measures on the state’s waterways and improved emergency response mechanisms to prevent further loss of lives.
While commiserating with families of victims of the recent attacks and Gorau boat tragedy, he commended security personnel, local divers, community volunteers and other first responders involved in rescue and recovery operations.
Dan’iya urged residents to remain peaceful and vigilant while demanding accountability from government officials.
“Sokoto is bleeding. Our people need protection, empathy and action—not silence. The value of government is ultimately measured by the lives it protects and the people it serves,” he said.